Thursday, August 4, 2011

Our New Home

On July 25th, the beautiful new building that now will house the St. Gerard House, Grotto ABA School and Immaculata Preschool was completed. At the same time, a mother’s vision and desire to help others in her community was fulfilled. As a mother of two children affected by autism, Caroline Long, the executive director of the St. Gerard House, saw a need in our community for autism awareness and support for families affected by autism. After assembling the best possible team to help her fill this need, the St. Gerard House was created and now, almost a year later, there is a building to house this team and it perfectly fits the unique needs of the families they serve.

            When I first entered the new building, I had some apprehensions. The little house where the St. Gerard House was previously located was very close to my heart. It had been my safe harbor in the storm of living with autism. I thought the new building would be too sterile, too businesslike and lack all the friendly warmth of the last location. As I toured new building, my worries faded away. It was bright and cheerful with plenty of sunshine streaming in the many windows but at the same time calming and serene. A statue of Our Lady of Lourdes sits in the lobby, reminding all who enter of the deep faith which drives the mission of the St. Gerard House.

As I walked into the part of the building which houses the Grotto School, I was amazed. The center is the open with the children’s cubbies along one wall and a small table to one side where the students have snack and do other group activities. Branching off the center room, like spokes off a wheel, were rooms specially designed to meet the unique needs of the children the school serves. There is a fine motor room, a book room, a dramatic play room, a gross motor room and a small outdoor classroom. While I was blown away by the thoughtfulness and careful consideration that went into the design of the school, one detail brought tears to my eyes. Hanging on various walls are poster size pictures of every student at the Grotto School, including my sweet Danny. These pictures reveal what drives the directors, the teachers, the staff, the volunteers and families of the St. Gerard House: Giving these children, affected by a seemingly hopeless diagnosis, hope. Looking at the beautiful picture of my precious son, I realized that this was still my safe harbor, my home.
-Alicia Westbrook, Parent

No comments:

Post a Comment